We always want our dogs to feel good and be healthy. With this, there are certain foods that they should not eat as it may be toxic in their system.
Though these might be perfect and healthy for humans, there are substances that dogs cannot handle. Here are some of the food and beverage products that you must not let your dog ingest.
Food or drinks with caffeine are prohibited to dogs. They contain a substance called methylxanthines. When this substance is ingested, your furry pet may experience diarrhea, vomiting, urination and excessive thirst.
There may also be episodes of hyperactivity, heart rhythm and seizures. In worst cases, pets may die due to a large intake of high caffeinated food and drinks.
Chocolates containing a high amount of cacao such as dark chocolates are more dangerous to eat than milk and white variants.
This fruit causes cardiovascular health issues in most animals. It contains a substance called Persin. Too much intake of such substance can cause diarrhea or vomiting to your dogs.
Moreover, the seeds of the avocado may also cause choking. It can be stuck in the stomach and intestines which can lead to a fatal incident. Should you have avocados growing in your backyard, let your animals stay away from the area.
Beverages that are alcoholic in nature may cause diarrhea, vomiting, depression, difficulty in breathing and abnormal activities in the blood. It may further cause coma that can lead to death. It is advised that you do not give alcohol to your dogs.
Nuts such as pecans, walnuts, and almonds have a high quantity of fats and oils. These can cause diarrhea and vomiting to your pet. It can also potentially lead to pancreatitis.
On the other hand, Macadamia nuts can cause tremors, Hyperthermia, and depression to most dogs. These symptoms may appear 12-48 hours after eating.
Dairy products such as butter, yogurt and milk contain high amounts of lactase. This is the enzyme known to break down the lactose substance in milk. These can provide diarrhea and upset stomach to dogs that ingest it.
Onion, garlic, and several herbs may provide irritation to your pet's intestine. It may potentially lead to damage to their red blood cells. Dogs are at risk should they consume a large amount.
This ingredient is a popular sweetener used on a number of products. These include toothpaste, candies, bubblegum and baked goods. It triggers the release of insulin which may cause liver failure in some animals.
The initial symptoms that indicate ingestion of xylitol are lethargy, vomiting, and weak coordination. These can progress to seizures and high levels of liver enzyme.
These are just some of the food and drink products prohibited to your dogs. These can be harmful to their health and may lead to death.
If your dog accidentally ingested them, bring him to your nearest pet clinic. Let your veterinarian examine his state. Appropriate diagnosis and medications should be provided to prevent adverse effects of these.
Comments will be approved before showing up.